About the lab
- Year founded: 2007
- Director: Xavier Intes, Ph.D.
- Graduate Concentration: Biomedical Engineering
Our laboratory goal is to develop quantitative thick-tissue optical imaging platforms for pre-clinical and clinical applications. We focus on three main areas: (a) design new optical tomographic imaging instrumentation; (b) develop new reconstruction algorithms for quantitative volumetric imaging; and (c) investigate optimal experimental and theoretical parameters for functional, molecular, and dynamical optical imaging.
- 02/03/2014: New paper from Lingling accepted for publication in Biomedical Optics Express: " Spatial light modulator based active illumination for ex vivo and in vivo quantitative fluorescence lifetime imaging ". (learn more)
- 01/20/2014: New paper from Mehmet accepted for publication in Academic Radiology: " Mesoscopic Fluorescence Tomography of a photosensitizer (HPPH) 3D Bio-Distribution in Skin Cancer " . (learn more)
- 10/11/2013: New paper from Lingling accepted for publication in PLOS ONE: " Non-Invasive In Vivo Imaging of Near Infrared-labeled Transferrin in Breast Cancer Cells and Tumors Using Fluorescence Lifetime FRET " .
- 09/17/2013: New paper from Mehmet accepted for publication in Journal of Biomedical Optics Letters: " Mesoscopic Fluorescence Molecular Tomography of Reporter Genes in Bio Printed Thick Tissue " .
- 09/10/2013: The research of our lab is highlighted in the International Innovation Healthcare.(learn more)
- 09/09/2013: New paper from Lingling accepted in Optics Letters: " Active wide-field illumination for high-throughput flurescence lifetime imaging ".
- 07/12/2013: Congratulations to Lingling. She is the recipient of the Ajit Prabhu fellowship 2013-2014.
- 07/03/2013: The lab was awarded a 3 year grant by the NSF CBET. This project, under the direction of Pr. Dai and Pr. Intes, aims at developing an integrated platform to construct and image 3D perfused vascular network within thick matrix.
- 06/18/2013:Congratulations to Lingling. Her poster " Non-invasive Quantitative Detection of Transferrin Receptor-mediated Internalization using NIR FRET Imaging in Live Mice " won the best poster award at Symposium on Metabolic Imaging/ Spectroscopy to honor the 100th Birthday of Britton Chance on June 18/19, 2013.
- 04/08/2013:Congratulations to Lingling. Her poster " Non-invasive Quantitative Imaging of a Near-Infrared FRET probe in Live Mice " won the best poster award at NEBEC 2013.
- 04/08/2013:Congratulations to Mehmet. His poster " Laminar Optical Tomography of Reporter Genes in Engineered Tissue Construct " obtained an honorable mention at NEBEC 2013.
- 03/18/2013: Our collaboration with Dr.Barroso of Albany Medical College (AMC) is highlighted in the International Innovation Health.(learn more)
- 03/16/2013: Dr.Intes interviewed by BioPhotonics on multimodal imaging in the clinic.(learn more)
- 02/05/2013: New paper from Vivek accepted in Journal of Biomedical Optics: " Adaptive Wide-field Optical Tomography " .(learn more)
- 12/27/2012: Congratulations to Jin, her paper " Monte Carlo based method for fluorescence tomographic imaging with lifetime multiplexing using time gates " is one of Top Downloaded Articles in Image Reconstruction and Inverse Problems of Biomedical Optics Express in 2012.
- 10/16/2012: New paper from Vivek accepted in Biomedical Optics Express: " Quantitative tomographic imaging of intermolecular FRET in small animals " .(learn more)
- 09/26/2012: New paper from Monish accepted in International Journal of Biomedical Imaging: " Ex Vivo Fluorescence Molecular Tomography of the Spine " .(learn more)
- 08/27/2012: New paper from Jin accepted in Journal of Biomedical Optics: " Mesh-based Monte Carlo Fluorescence Molecular Tomography " .(learn more)
- 08/01/2012: Special Issue on " Diagnostic and Therapeutic Optical Imaging Techniques " , Eds F Azar and X Intes, published in Current Medical Imaging Reviews (learn more)
- 07/31/2012: Book chapter on " Multimodal Diffuse Optical Imaging " published in Biomedical Optical Imaging Technologies, Design and Applications, Series: Biological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Liang, Rongguang (Ed.) 2012 ISBN 978-3-642-28390-1 (learn more)
- 07/13/2012: Jin defended successfully her PhD thesis: " Optical Tomography in Small Animals with Time-Resolved Monte Carlo Method " . Jin will work for Bloomberg in NYC.
- Congratulations to Vivek who was awarded the Zelda and David G. Gisser Prize. It is awarded to a biomedical engineering graduate student whose dissertation is considered exemplary in the area of experimental work.
- 04/02/2012: New paper from Vivek published in Current Medical Imaging Reviews (learn more)
- Congratulations to Vivek who was awarded the Karen and Lester Gerhardt 2012 Prize. This prize was established to honor a full-time engineering or science doctoral candidate, who by the originality and insight of his or her work emphasizes the tradition of excellence that is Rensselaer.
- 04/02/2012: New paper from Lingling accepted in Biomaterials (learn more).
- 03/27/2012: Dr. Intes received the NSF CAREER award in Biophotonics: " CAREER: Whole-Body FRET Tomography."
- 03/15/2012: The lab has been awarded a two-year, $378K R21 grant from the National Cancer Institute at the NIH. The grant will be used to develop a Multispectral Fluorescence Molecular Tomography (MFMT) tool capable of simultaneous tracking of multiple fluorophores in vivo in small animals.
- 01/15/2012: Monish defended successfully his Master Thesis: " Ex-vivo Molecular Optical Imaging of the Spine. " He will join SIEMENS as a research engineer.
- 01/24/2012: The lab work on wide-field optical tomography was presented in an invited talk at SPIE BIOS 2012, San Francisco.
- 12/15/2011: Vivek defended successfully his PhD thesis: " A small animal time-resolved optical tomography system using wide-field excitation." He will join Dr Fragioniís lab at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, as a postdoctoral fellow.
- 11/28/2011: The Lab has been awarded a two-year, $378K R21 grant from the National Cancer Institute at the NIH. The grant titled, " The 3D whole Body Distribution of NIR transferrin using FRET tomography imaging " is in collaboration with Dr. Barroso at the Center for Cardiovascular Research at Albany Medical College.
- 10/14/2011: Vivek was awarded a travel grant to attend WMIC 2011 and was selected as a semi-finalist (6 nominees) for the young innovator award.
- 09/27/2011: New paper from Jin published in Medical Physics (learn more).